Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pawn Brokers

I think is is on the history channel that we 
have a show called something like "Pawn Brokers from Las Vegas". There 
are 3 generations working together appraising and buying items brought 
into their pawn shop. The main character/manager, Rick, likes books.  We 
didn't get to the shop while we were recently in Las Vegas but the 
following week an ad appeared that two of the guys would be in our local 
Port Charlotte Pawn Shop.

My husband and I decided to go meet them and take a couple of books I've 
had for 2 or 3 years to see what Rick's response would be.  I selected 
two books "U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey Showing the Progress of the 
Work Ending with June, 1895 Parts 1 & 2" and the same but 1897.  They 
have multiple fold out maps and are gov. publications.

Rick passed on them because 1. they came from a public library (it shows 
that a way too many were published) and 2. the maps are not in color - 
no one buys those.  He said the only books worth buying are signed 
literary classics.

He referred me to the local pawn shop owner nearby (who evidently got 
the left overs from the Stars).  He passed on the books also, said even 
if anyone ever bought them, it would be for $5 or $10.00 each.

We all know that funny things happen when you move books around:  I just 
sold two of the 4 I have for $125.00 each.

I hope the Stars return soon - I have a couple more books that have been 
hanging around for awhile!

No comments: