Tuesday, December 2, 2008
A few suggestions for gifts or your own reading:
This one will keep your father-in-law (or other history buff) busy for a few hours!
1. Grunwald, Lisa & Adler, Stephen J., Editors; Letters of the Century: America, 1900-1999 The Dial Press, New York, New York, U.S.A., 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. First Edition, First Printing. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. The editors of this collection of letters had a simple working idea: "Letters give history a voice." These 412 letters, from a wide range of public figures and private citizens, are arranged chronologically to give an intimate version of the history of twentieth century America. The book is divided into decades, each with a short Introduction. Each letter is introduced too, identifying both the sender and the receiver. 741 pages. Published at $35.00. mylar protection- will drop ship. $11.00 ppd U.S. Media.
Is your sister-in-law from Lebanon?
2. Abinader, Elmaz: Children of the Roojme: A Family's Journey NY: Norton, 1991. 1st printing of 1st edition. A Lebanese family history from the turn of the century local political status to pursuing the dream of wealth in America at mid-century fine hard cover book with fine dust jacket. $8.00 ppd. U.S. media.
Do you have an author on your list? How about:
3. Truss, Lynne: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Gotham, 2006., Paperback.Like New. Examines punctuation and correct word usage. $6.00 ppd. U.S. media
And for the hard to shop for philosopher:
4. Chodron, Thubten: Blossoms of the Dharma: Living As a Buddhist Nun . North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 2000. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Near Fine. 206 pages with glossary and appendices. Clean unmarked book $10.00 ppd U.S. media.
The political junkie may enjoy:
5. Graham, Katharine; Katharine Graham's Washington; Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 2002. 813 pgs. No marks, clean pgs, binding tight. Katharine Graham, as publisher of the Washington Post, knew Washington D.C. through and through and saw it from a special perspective. Here, she collects and comments on her favorite writings by the likes of Russell Baker, Joseph Alsop, Henry Kissinger, and others that reflect the history, social life, and unique personalities of the nation's capital. $10.00 ppd. U.S. media.
These are not price clipped or have any remainder marks. Add a dollar and I'll gift wrap prior to shipping (maybe not like the department stores but heck...cheaper than most of the department stores!)
Sunday, November 30, 2008
I am pleased to offer For Sale this scarce new arrival: American Harness Racing by John Hervey and edited by Edwin Keller, Published by Ralph F. Hartenstein, 1948, Stated First Edition. 206 pages, brown cloth covers,4to (12 inches wide). Illustrated by photos. This is a scarce book. Minor discoloration on cover and the back fly leaf is pasted down to back cover 1/3 of the way from spine. No handwriting, no foxing and nice gold gilt lettering on the cover as you see in photo.
This is a history of the sport as well as specific horses and horsemen written by a preeminent horse / race historian of the time.
There are auction records for a sale of a limited edition of this book in the 1954-55 records ($50.00) and the 1981 records ($170.00). This book states "Limited edition #______of 250". Adjusting for inflation, the $50.00 would be $380.00! But I'm offering this copy for $250.00 - just in time for a nice holiday gift. I accept PayPal and personal checks.
Please email me with any questions you have about the book. Thanks for looking. Madlyn.Blom@gmail.com
Monday, November 17, 2008
6508 #Obama, Barack Obama, Barack: THE AUDACITY OF HOPE Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream Crown 2006. Hardcover Small 4to 9" - 11" tall Pages:384 1st Edition 5th Printing Indexed. Dust Jack in protective mylar. Well, you know the story - I don't have to tell you about this president! NF/ VG $99.50 Sold - Sorry you missed it!
Friday, November 14, 2008
This is a very pretty place! Hot tubs, large warm (85) pool for swimming and games, computer room, exercise room, fishing, biking, music for dancing at night by pool, tiki bar and a dog park that Page just loves! Page jumps out of the car and heads right toward the dog area. We let her off the leash and she does absolutely nothing except smelling the other dogs scents and pees - no running, no catching the balls, no initiated socialization with any other dogs present - but she goes there at least 6 times a day! I don't 'get it' - but she is happy so (Mostly) Bob keeps takes her.
Friday, October 31, 2008
As the holidays approach, you may be interested in cooking something different for guests. There is nothing like an alligator Thanksgiving to liven up the dinner table! Or, for the not-so-good cooks, try the No Fault Cooking recipes - maybe there is a coupon in it for free legal defense if you mess up totally? Written by lawyers, I think it is a very funny / unique book title. I think I can ship most of there for the basic $2.50 media rate - except for the Italian book - that one will have to be about $5.00 - sorry but it is a gorgeous recipe book - worth paying the postage.
Thanks for looking. PayPal (with credit card option) and checks accepted. Madlyn
· #2839 Rawlings, Marjorie Kinan: CROSS CREEK COOKERY Charles Scribner, Ny. NY. 1942 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus. by :Robert Camp : Hardcover Size: 8vo - 8" to 9" tall Indexed. Decorative endpapers G-. No DJ cond. Recipes & Menus. Southern cooking. 1st Ed. Wear to corners. Spine is starataing to crack 230 pgs. Book: Fair/ DJ: NONE $25.50
· #6370 (Junior League Of Honolulu) : A TASTE OF ALOHA A Collection of Recipes from the Junior League of Honolulu. Junior League of Honolulu, Hawaii. 1994 1st Edition 8th Printing, Hardcover Size: Small 4to 9" - 11" Decorated glossy book hardcover with Hawaiian lady. There is a nice cultural description and drawings to accompany the recipes. One corner is slightly bumped. 374 pgs. Book: VG/ DJ: NONE $10.00
· #6372 Junior League Of The Palm Beaches: HEART OF THE PALMS Favorite Recipes of the Palm Beaches. Junior League of the Palm Beaches, Florida. 1990 1st Edition 2nd Printing, Hardcover Size: Small 4to 9" - 11" A very pretty hard cover spiral bound hard cover book. The cover art is very attractive. 261 pgs. Book: VG/ DJ: NONE $9.95
· #6377 Clare, Robert L. (editor) : NO FAULT COOKING 1998 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus. by :Tine Graham : Illus Type: Color Illustrations Spiral bound Size: 8vo 8" - 9" tall Buy it just for the humor if not the many recipes! This is the work of the Fellows and thier spouses of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Contributions are from all 50 states, and Nova Scotia - British Columbia and G. B Very good art work by Tine Graham. The publishing information wasn't provided in the book! I can't tell if there were other printings or not so I'm guessing at the 1st Ed, 1st printing info since nothing else is provided. The publication location and dates weren't provided either. I can only guess from the date of the letter that the editor wrote outlining his goals for the book. I'd say if you are friends with a lawyer - who happens to like to cook (or not) this would be a fun gift. 264 pgs. Book: VG/ DJ: NONE $11.50
· #6482 Brown, Sandi & Joyce Lafray Young: FAMOUS FLORIDA! RESTAURANTS AND RECIPES Cookbook and Guide to 50 Famous Florida Restaurants. Winner Enterprises., 2002 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus Type: Line drawings Spiral bound Size: Small 4to 9" - 11" tall Includes a story about the various restaurants and a recipe from them. 320 pgs. Book: VG/ DJ: NONE $9.95
· #6483 I
Tihany, Adam D. & Francesco Antonucci & Florence Fabricant & Nir Adar; Pioppo, Peter: VENETIAN TASTE Abbeville Press, New York. 1994 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus. by :Nir Adar : Illus Type: Color Illustrations Hardcover Size: Small 4to 9" - 11" tall Beautifully illustrated recipes from Italy. Gift Quality. Decorative endpapers Dust Jack in protective mylar. 192 pgs. Book: NF/ DJ: NF $20.00
The Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach: TIDEWATER ON THE HALFSHELL Fine Virginia Recipes. Junior League of Norfolk, 1985 1st Edition 1st Printing, Spiral bound Size: Small 4to 9" - 11" tall 352 pgs. Book: VG/ DJ: NONE $9.95
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
I will be putting these 3 pins up for sale on eBay soon if they don't sell here. If you are interested in investing, collecting or wearing estate/collectible jewelry, have a look - I really like these pins!
As you can see, they are 3 inches tall, pewter (or pewter like), done by the Jonette company in 1988, I think distributed by Chicos - and you know they had to sell for a lot more than I'm asking here: $25.00 for all 3 pieces. The cactus has one small 'ding' on the left edge but that is all of the potential "flaws" that I see. If you are interested in only one piece and the set hasn't sold, $10.00. Add $2.50 postage for shipping in U.S. for one or all 3 pieces. Thanks for looking. Madlyn
Saturday, October 4, 2008
If you are interested in books with photos and a set price - and maybe a few at auction try going to that site to see what I'm offering today.
The variety changes depending on what has sold and what I've had time to add to the site.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Friends & Visitors;
I'd like to sell more books! I have plenty of visitors to this site but not enough sales - to see a list of books go to http://oldbaglady.pbwiki.com
Samples above. Contact me at Madlyn.Blom@gmail.com to purchase using PayPal. Thanks for shopping with me.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
L. Frank Baum, author of the OZ children's books, had a cottage in Macatawa, MI - called the Sign of the Goose - on Lake Michigan. Many of the old time locals like to believe that their elderly (or former) aunt Dorothy was the inspiration for the main character. When I had an open book shop in Holland, MI I had many customers tell me proudly about their relationship to Baum's main character. Of course, Frank Baum didn't actually purchase the cottage until after the book sold (but who wants to ruin a good story). The author may have visited Macatawa prior to purchasing the cottage but I was unable to find any source material to prove it - but that didn't mean he wasn't there, just that the records weren't available at the time.
Last week I revisited the area again. There isn't much to visit that is actually Macatawa that is public. There is a miniature sized post office with the Macatawa name but it is a small office sized thing located in a yacht storage building (the yacht club is across the busy street).
I was able to walk about 1/2 mile to see BIG RED, the origianal light house on the beach by all of the cottages in the area but I couldn't drive there. Jay Van Andel (of Amway fame) purchased much of the area and made it private but due to the local hue and cry, he allows non-residents to walk out to the lighthouse but not drive to it. The fishermen weren't thrilled to have to carry all of their tackle, etc. to fish off the seawall but it was the compromise.
I've included a photo of the guard gate Van Andel put up to make sure you don't drive in to fish or use the private beach. You can rent a cottage still and spend the lazy days of summer on the private beach without the throngs of us unwashed commoners.
There are no businesses in the area except for one art gallery, Piper's restaurant in Eldean's marina and a little resort - marine clothing shop in the marina. It isn't like the old days when you could vacation within the community and walk to purchase ice cream, etc. Those were the days! I'm posting some photos - I hope you enjoy seeing what L. Frank Baum's quaint vacation area has become. It is gorgeous but only enjoyable if you rent or own a cottage there.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Sunday, June 22, 2008
· #6082 Bates, Charles Francis (Col. ) : CUSTER'S INDIAN BATTLES Bronxville. 1936 Reprint 1st Printing, Illus. by James E Kelly Stapled wraps Size 4to 11" - 13" tall This is in a yellow stiff wrap, stapled format. B&W photos with the cover art a sketch by James E. Kelly. 36 pgs. Book NF/ DJ NONE $25.00
· #6237 Burton, Jimalee (Ho-Chee-Nee, Cherokee) : INDIAN HERITAGE, INDIAN PRIDE Stories That Touched My Life. Signed ByAuthor University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, OK. 1974 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus. by Jimalee Burton Illus Type B&W and Color Illustrations Hardcover Size 4to - 11" to 13" tall Legends, history, illustrations of American Indian (Cherokee) . "May the winds of heaven blow softly on all who share your heart and wigwam. " Inscribed to Debbie Cousins by author. Book in VG condition but the d. J. Has closed tears at corners, a price in ink and a puncture at spine. It is not price clipped. 176 pgs. Book VG/ DJ Fair $28.00
· #6406 Dustin, Fred: THE CUSTER FIGHT Reprint 1st Printing, Stapled wraps Size 8vo Book VG/ DJ VG $220.00
· #5319 Gridley, Marion E. : INDIANS OF TODAY Sponsored by the Indian Council Fire. Millar Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill. 1947 1st Edition 1st Printing, Hardcover Size 8vo Biographies are approximately one page each, most with photo. Red cloth covers with bumped edges, somewhat soiled from handling. 111 pgs. Book G+/ DJ NONE $27.00
· #5622 Masse, Larry B. : BIRCHBARK BELLES Women on the Michigan Frontier. Signed ByAuthor The Priscilla Press, Allegan MI. 1993 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus Type Bw illus Softcover Size 8vo Back to 1837 when Anna Jameson was names "the woman of the bright foam" by by a Chippewa Indian woman when Anna braved the roaring St. Marys Rapids in a birch bark canoe. Lots more! 307 pgs. Book NF/ DJ NONE $18.00
· #5482 Massie, Larry B. : PIG BOATS AND RIVER HOGS Further Voyages Into Michigan's Past. Signed ByAuthor Priscilla Press, Michigan. 1990 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus Type B&W Photographs Paperback Size 8vo I got this book from the author. Inscribed "Best Wishes Larry B. Massie". This author writes extensively on Michigan's history, lives in Allegan (MI) woods. 295 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $16.50
· #5331 Thomas, David H. : THE NATIVE AMERICANS An Illustrated History. Turner Publishing, Inc. , Atlanta, GA. 1993 1st Edition 1st Printing, Illus Type Photographs Hardcover Size 4to Art reproductions and photos (449 Illus) . White linen like covers with illustrated Dust Jacket. A Very nice copy. Orig pub. At $50.00 U. S. $65.00 in Canada. Many illustrations. 479 pgs. Book VG/ DJ VG $22.50
· #5582 Urwin, Gergory, J. W.: CUSTER VICTORIOUS The CIVIL War Battles of General George Armstrong Custer. Blue Grey Press, Edison N. J.. 1983 1st Edition Illus Type B&W Illustrations Hardcover Size 8vo Book based on official records, eyewitness reports, and letters , diaris , memoirs of the men who fought under Custer. Maps and Illus . 308 pgs. Book NF/ DJ NF $22.50
· #3114 Wright, John C. : THE CROOKED TREE: INDIAN LEGENDS OF NORTHERN MICHIGAN John C. Wright, Harbor Springs, MI. 1917 1st Edition Illus. by Photos Hardcover Size 12mo Smaller brick color book with black lettering and tree design. Book VG/ $49.50
· #6405 Zinser, Louis: INDIAN WAR DIARY The Expedition of 1876. Old West Shop, West Virginia. 1st Edition 1st Printing, Stapled wraps Size 8vo Decorative covers (Cavalry and horses) . This is history of the Black Hills (Dakotas) and covers his involvement in The Indian War from May - Oct. 1876. 38 pgs. Book NF/ DJ NONE $10.00
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Ave Maria University is going to be quite lovely when completed. Last year there were approx 450 students and next fall they expect maybe 650. They offer a doctorate in theology now and will add more as they go along. The chapel is in the middle of the "town" which are some stores in lovely buildings around the square with apts or condos upstairs.
The library is currently 2 stories, L shaped - when it is time to expand they will add another "L" and designed for that option. The library is a quiet place! Yea, an old fashioned approach to a library.
The land was donated by the Collier family - old tomato fields way out in the middle of nowhere with 10 miles of a 2 lane road to get there and lots of bugs (no see'ums) in the afternoon, I didn't ask about alligators - after all , this is FL - of course there are alligators!
The library group I was with got a tour of the library and when we came to the cataloging room - WOW! Boxes and boxes and hundreds more boxes of books! It was hard to leave without a sample!
The most valuable item they say they have at this time is a "hand written" Torah - $65,000. It was donated by someone who had no ties with the University and isn't Catholic - he just wanted a tax write-off and hoped the University would do some business with him. I didn't see any other rare books but I saw the rare book acquisition office so I assume they will have some in the future. I didn't get a hand out so can't tell you how many books the library currently owns but many are still in storage. The librarian is a delightful man who had retired 5 years before this opportunity was offered to him. That is all. Madlyn
I have additional owner manuals not listed yet - ask about a specific one you need. I can save you postage if you order multiple manuals for shipping to one address. $2.50 per manual USA media shipping.
· #6017 1974 PONTIAC OWNER'S MANUAL Pontiac Motor Division, Michigan. 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 8vo 36 pgs. Book VG-/ DJ NONE $6.30
· #6018 LYNX 1987 OWNER GUIDE Ford. Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1987 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 232 pgs. Book VG-/ DJ NONE $10.00
· #6019 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1982 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1982 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 181 pgs. Book G/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6020 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1991 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1991 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 346 pgs. Book VG+/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6021 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1988 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1988 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 256 pgs. Book G/ DJ NONE $9.00
· #6022 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1988 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1988 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 256 pgs. Book G/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6023 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1988 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1988 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 256 pgs. Book G/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6024 THUNDERBIRD OWNER GUIDE 1986 Ford Motor Company, Michigan. 1986 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 200 pgs. Book G+/ DJ VG $9.00
· #6025 MERCEDES-BENZ MAINTENANCE BOOKLET 280s 450se 450 Sel. Daimler-Benz, Michigan. 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 48 pgs. Book G+/ DJ VG $6.30
· #6028 MERCEDES-BENZ OWNERS MANUAL 280s 450se 450 Sel Catalog "B". Daimler-Benz, Michigan. 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 12mo - 7" to 7½" tall 152 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $45.00
· #6346 Volkswagen: VOLKSWAGEN OWNER'S MANUAL (VOLKSWAGON) 1989 Fox. Volkswagen, 1989 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 107 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6352 Jeep 1986: 4X4 JEEP OWNERS MANUAL Cherokee Wagoneer. American Motors, 1986 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 48mo 3½" - 4" tall 225 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6353 Toyota: CELICA 1980 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1979 1st Edition 1st Printing, Hardcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 108 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6354 Toyota: CAMRY 1986 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1986 1st Edition 1st Printing, Hardcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 148 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6355 Toyota: TERCEL 1984 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1984 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 114 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6356 Toyota: COROLLA 1982 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1982 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 128 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6357 Toyota: CAMRY 1984 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1984 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 133 pgs. Book VG/ DJ NONE $12.00
· #6358 Toyota: CORONA 1977 Owner's Manual. Toyota, 1977 1st Edition 1st Printing, Softcover Size 24mo 5" - 6" tall 84 pgs. Book VG-/ DJ NONE $12.00
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Do You know the history of this artist?
E. Th. Douwes Dekker:
(E.T.D.D. Oct - 1984) .
Maybe you have an art reference book or have read something about Dekker? I understand that the name is Dutch and an early relative was a famous author and politician who also lived in Indonesia and his third wife was Muslim (thanks for the help on getting that information!)
I just purchased this pastel today at an antique store in Arcadia, FL If you have any information on the woman or the artist would you mind telling me about them? Thank you. Madlyn
Sunday, May 4, 2008
The second card is a lovely early card (no divider line on back. Not used. $6.00
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Saturday, April 26, 2008
This nice cream purse is dressy style - $25.00 plus postage.
This is Arcadia, FL where every 4th Saturday a nice antique fair is held outside - on the sidewalks and all available locations downtown. When you finish shopping outside you can go inside to the antique shops to spend the rest of your cash and enjoy the a.c.
Robie Robot - from early 80s (Radio Shack) missing the tray. $50.00 plus shipping.
1. This 8" H Napco forest green flower vase is in excellent condition. It has one circular shape to the base and middle and a bell shape at the rim. It comes from the depression glass era and would be a compliment to any table top. Mark: Napco 1172
3. Limited Edition Watercolor prints by Key West Florida Artist Ann Irvine. Approx 71/2 in x 10 in. Both Margaritaville and Duval St. are numbered and signed in pencil. She has such lovely interpretations of the spirit of Key West! Both are matted but not framed. Not available in shops now - only from collectors as she only did 100 of each. These are new - still in Price: $95.00 each. plus shipping.
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
I'm reading an article about medical outsourcing or medical tourism as it is also known. (http://www.medicaltourism.com) and wonder if you know about it. The article I'm reading was in the Jan/Feb 2008 Saturday Evening Post.
If you need some major health procedure done that you can't afford (hip replacement, heart by-pass), you may be able to get your insurance to cover the procedure in Costa Rica, Thailand, India or the Philippines! Or, at lease save 75-90% if you pay for it yourself. Some insurance companies actually pay for a companion to go along with you, pay for both tickets and give you 20% of the difference in prices between the U.S. price and the foreign price! In Bangkok they pick you up at the airport. The quality is at least as good as U.S. because these boutique hospitals can't risk loosing the U.S. business.
If you are uninsured, this may be the only option, outside bankruptcy, to get your medical procedure.
The point of my telling you this is, of course, if you need a (free) companion to go along with you, my time can be flexible!!!
Sunday, April 6, 2008
1. Moore, J. A.: Old Traverse City (Michigan) Gull Gallery, (1973, 1975), Traverse City, MI., 1975. softcover, 2nd.edition, 8 1/2"x 5 1/2", 121 pages, From original photograph ofpanoramic views, Front Street, Union Street, Boardman River, Logging,Ships, People, etc. If you've been there, you'll love to see what it used to be. If you've never been there, buy this to see what you've missed! fine-; $6.50 postage included.
2. NEWYORKSEPTEMBERELEVENTWOTHOUSANDONE . [Attack on the World Trade Centre, New York] (ISBN: 097057682X)
2001. Soft Cover. Fine. First Edition/Second Printing. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. . Stunning and moving photography. One description on line " Abt. 150 pages of imperialist propaganda, with lots of photographs." Still shrink wrapped (I have a second copy I opened to get details). $20.00 ppd. media/U.S. more for internationally shipping.
3. Directory of Homeopathic Physicians, American Institute of Homeopathy, Chicago, 1925. v.g. brown cloth h.c., 310 pages plus ads. $75.00. ppd. U.S. media
4. Horne, Jed: Breach of Faith; Hurridane Katrina and the Near Death of a Great American City;, Random House, N.Y., 2006, 1st Ed, 1st printing, 412 pages, indexed. NF/NF $14.50 ppd.U.S media.
5. Hribal, C.J. The Cluds in Memphis (stories and novella), University of Mass Press, 2000, award winner for short fiction. NF/NF $10.00 PPD media U.S.
PayPal or personal checks accepted.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Today the definition of expired works is the author's death date + 70 years. Publications prior to 1922 are in the public domain.
For more details about the copyright laws just do a google search on Hirtle, copyright.
To find out more about public domain, go to creative commons.org.
For free images, google; images.gov (all government generated images and publications are in the public domain so you can use them, as I understand the laws.
Note: I'm not a lawyer but I did get this information from a lawyer and I'm sharing the information freely! Madlyn
Sunday, March 16, 2008
What a fun day! The weather was beautiful for this year's book festival, the event was well organized and I enjoyed the speakers. Tim Dorsey is signing one of his books in photo - he was on a small
panel of "Florida Men of Mystery". His books don't really interest me but he was an entertaining panelist. Bob Morris was my favorite on the panel but I haven't read anything by James O. Born, the other panelist.
The keynote speaker was Stuart Woods and I enjoyed him a lot - he was very humorous. He now has a three book per year contract and said he works only one hour per day. He said he doesn't use any assistant authors because he likes to keep all of the money himself!
Another panel was all about audio books. There were two readers, one producer and one author (Joe Hill) whose books had won an AUDIE for the audio performance. They talked a little business and did a little reading. Hill said that he thinks that the audio books enhance hard copy sales.
There were lots of authors signing and selling books, Books-A-Million was there selling featured authors books and more, there were a couple of used books dealers selling inside, and the Lee County library had many booths - for library cards, teaching how to download ebooks, selling book bags and reading to children, to mention a few.
If your community doesn't do something like this you might want to consider something like it. The attendees were from the very young to the very old and the promoters included not only book stores such as Books-A-Million but the local community grocery store (who handed out book bags with their logo to kids).
If you are looking for a good reason to get away from your weather next year, plan to come to Fort Myers, FL in March to attend the 10th annual book festival - as you can see, it is a pretty place to be in March. Madlyn