A few suggestions for gifts or your own reading:
This one will keep your father-in-law (or other history buff) busy for a few hours!
1. Grunwald, Lisa & Adler, Stephen J., Editors; Letters of the Century: America, 1900-1999 The Dial Press, New York, New York, U.S.A., 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. First Edition, First Printing. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. The editors of this collection of letters had a simple working idea: "Letters give history a voice." These 412 letters, from a wide range of public figures and private citizens, are arranged chronologically to give an intimate version of the history of twentieth century America. The book is divided into decades, each with a short Introduction. Each letter is introduced too, identifying both the sender and the receiver. 741 pages. Published at $35.00. mylar protection- will drop ship. $11.00 ppd U.S. Media.
Is your sister-in-law from Lebanon?
2. Abinader, Elmaz: Children of the Roojme: A Family's Journey NY: Norton, 1991. 1st printing of 1st edition. A Lebanese family history from the turn of the century local political status to pursuing the dream of wealth in America at mid-century fine hard cover book with fine dust jacket. $8.00 ppd. U.S. media.
Do you have an author on your list? How about:
3. Truss, Lynne: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Gotham, 2006., Paperback.Like New. Examines punctuation and correct word usage. $6.00 ppd. U.S. media
And for the hard to shop for philosopher:
4. Chodron, Thubten: Blossoms of the Dharma: Living As a Buddhist Nun . North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 2000. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Near Fine. 206 pages with glossary and appendices. Clean unmarked book $10.00 ppd U.S. media.
The political junkie may enjoy:
5. Graham, Katharine; Katharine Graham's Washington; Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 2002. 813 pgs. No marks, clean pgs, binding tight. Katharine Graham, as publisher of the Washington Post, knew Washington D.C. through and through and saw it from a special perspective. Here, she collects and comments on her favorite writings by the likes of Russell Baker, Joseph Alsop, Henry Kissinger, and others that reflect the history, social life, and unique personalities of the nation's capital. $10.00 ppd. U.S. media.
These are not price clipped or have any remainder marks. Add a dollar and I'll gift wrap prior to shipping (maybe not like the department stores but heck...cheaper than most of the department stores!)
Sunday, November 30, 2008
I am pleased to offer For Sale this scarce new arrival: American Harness Racing by John Hervey and edited by Edwin Keller, Published by Ralph F. Hartenstein, 1948, Stated First Edition. 206 pages, brown cloth covers,4to (12 inches wide). Illustrated by photos. This is a scarce book. Minor discoloration on cover and the back fly leaf is pasted down to back cover 1/3 of the way from spine. No handwriting, no foxing and nice gold gilt lettering on the cover as you see in photo.
This is a history of the sport as well as specific horses and horsemen written by a preeminent horse / race historian of the time.
There are auction records for a sale of a limited edition of this book in the 1954-55 records ($50.00) and the 1981 records ($170.00). This book states "Limited edition #______of 250". Adjusting for inflation, the $50.00 would be $380.00! But I'm offering this copy for $250.00 - just in time for a nice holiday gift. I accept PayPal and personal checks.
Please email me with any questions you have about the book. Thanks for looking. Madlyn.Blom@gmail.com